Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Memory matching game

I made a Memory Matching Game for my 3-year-old for a Valentine's Day present. I cut squares from a pink wool sweater, and cut hearts from red, pink and purple wool scraps.

Here are some pictures:


Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wool microphone and crown set

I made this cute set out of one pink, and one blue wool sweater. I didn't have a pattern, I just winged it.

Here is the microphone, with on and off buttons:

The microphone in action:

Here is a reversible crown. I used 2 sweaters with waists that had felted to be small enough to fit around my daughter's head. It is also kind of stretchy. I just cut them so their sizes matched, sewed the bottoms together, then cut the tops to match each other!

The set:

Monday, December 1, 2008

Brown bag it!

Here are some cute brown paper bags that I finished on Thanksgiving. They are made with 2 layers of a brown wool blazer that I felted in the washer. They are 4 inches long and 3 inches tall.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Breakfast playfood

Here is what I have made so far for breakfast foods:

Eggs, sunnyside up


Yogurt cup with removable lid

Waffles with pats of butter, and cinnamon rolls!

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Sushi rolls!

Here are some sushi rolls that I made out of wool sweaters. They are the size of actual sushi rolls.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wool elephant made from a striped sweater

Here is the finished elephant that I made out of a 100% wool sweater I bought from Goodwill. He is 6 inches tall and 5 inches long. He is hand-stitched with grey cotton embroidery floss, using the blanket stitch. He is stuffed with wool sweater scraps.

At the bottom of this post, I have some in progress pictures.

Here is the sweater I bought at Goodwill. It cost $3.38. The cotton floss I used costs $1.50 at JoAnn's. I use the cotton perle kind because it doesn't need to be seperated like the regular kind of 6 strand floss.

Here it is after I felted it. I washed it on hot with a little Dawn soap. I actually did it a couple times because it was feeling too stretchy. I have noticed that if the sweaters don't felt up right, then legs of the elephant get really wobbly.

Here it is cut out. This particular sweater only had enough fabric for one elephant. I shaved the sweater a ton with a sweater shaver.
Here it is partially sewn. The inside of the legs are shown at the bottom. You can also see the wool scraps. I cut them up into tiny little pieces so it is easier to stuff the elephant (then there aren't lumps).

I don't have a pattern, I just kind of make it up as I go. He turned out so cute!! He is for a swap on MDC, so I am super happy with the way he turned out. Now I am on the hunt for more striped sweaters at Goodwill!!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Slider made from wool sweaters

I made this mini-burger out of different colors of wool sweaters that I felted in the washer. I sewed all the different pieces first, with beige embroidery floss. Then I put a few stitched through the whole thing, starting at the bottom of the top bun, going through everything to the top of the bottom bun piece. That way, all of the individual pieces don't get lost.

This slider is about 3 inches tall and 2 inches wide.